COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Ohio Attorney Common Dave Yost has submitted two separate lawsuits in opposition to home-owner contractors.
In accordance to Yost, these contractors allegedly failed to present the property repairs and renovation products and services promised to and compensated for by house owners.
“Instead of strapping on their toolbelts and heading to work, these scammers imagined they could run off with the money,” Yost mentioned. “So now we’ve grabbed our resources and we’re heading to drop the hammer on these fellas.”
The fit was filed in Franklin County Court of Common Please from Weylin Stewart, Roofless General Contracting LLC and Gutter and Downspouts LLC.
According to court docket files, they are accused of getting in excess of $36,000 from home owners intended for home renovations and repairs. The go well with claims they unsuccessful to full the get the job done they have been presently paid for.
Right here are ways to avoid contractor cons, presented by the Legal professional Basic Place of work:
- Talk to the contractor for and examine references. Beware that contractors may perhaps use choice company or person names to keep away from negative references.
- Inquire the contractor for proof of licenses, insurance, and bonding. Point out legislation does not have to have home improvement contractors to be certified, but quite a few Ohio cities do.
- Verify with the area Greater Small business Bureau at www.bbb.org and the Ohio Lawyer General’s Workplace to see if grievances are on file against the business or the specific. You can also look for for previous lawsuits filed by the Legal professional General’s Consumer Security Section, simply click here.
- Attain at the very least 3 written estimates from a few various contractors.
- Get all claims, specs, and warranties in producing. Once a contract is agreed on, read through the contract entirely in advance of signing.
- Do not pay for the entire work upfront. Test to do the job out a payment routine with the contractor – these kinds of as one particular-3rd up-front just one-3rd midway through, and 1-3rd upon completion to your fulfillment.