NASHVILLE, The Tennessee Section of Commerce and Insurance coverage is reminding householders to look at for property enhancement cons this spring.
According to a news launch, TDCI and the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors are reminding residents of measures they can choose to retain the services of highly regarded contractors.
Individuals can look at the complaint and disciplinary record of a contractor by the Board for Licensing Contractors by contacting (800) 544-7693 or (615) 741-8307, or by emailing [email protected]
To file a criticism, simply click below.
Tennessee’s felony theft legislation addresses shoppers when a contractor can take income and does not perform operate within just 90 days, according to the release. For much more information and facts, click on below.
People are also reminded of the pursuing:
- A contractor’s license is necessary prior to bidding or selling price negotiations on tasks of $25,000 or a lot more.
- For projects less than $25,000, look at with your community government’s making codes business to affirm if a contractor requirements a state or neighborhood license to conduct house improvement, electrical, plumbing or HVAC operate, and their allow prerequisites for inspections.
- Guarantee they are properly accredited right here.
- Get a number of bids and look at references ahead of committing
- Be wary of contracts providing door-to-doorway repairs, particularly when questioned for payment up front or deep savings.
- Request who will be carrying out function (contractor, worker or subcontractor)
- Get a written contract with contractor’s title, tackle, cellular phone variety, anticipated state and completion day.
- Tennessee’s Residence Improvement law prohibits contractors from inquiring for a down payment of a lot more than 1/3 of the total deal.
- Make absolutely sure the contractor is insured and inquire for copies of certificates demonstrating a existing effective date.
- Never ever pay back with money or the complete cost just before the perform is complete.
To keep away from being the target of misleading tactics, check out for these crimson flags:
- An unlicensed individual likely doorway-to-door
- A individual who utilizes higher-strain sales methods
- Stay clear of operating with anyone in unmarked vans or vans, and refuses to established out entire or certain contract phrases in producing.