Fox News will not be covering the January 6 committee’s long-awaited first hearing live and its prime time shows will only discuss Thursday’s proceedings if it is warranted, the network has announced.
In a statement, Fox News Media said that its live coverage of the panel giving evidence on the events that led to a mob of Donald Trump supporters storming the Capitol will instead be broadcast on the Fox Business Network and hosted by Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum.
The network said that its prime time programs that will air at the same time the hearings take place from 8 p.m. EDT Thursday, Tucker Carlson Tonight and Hannity, will not be showing the proceedings live on air and will only cover the hearings “as news warrants.”
Fox News Media said the hearings will be discussed on the Fox News Channel at 11 p.m. during FOX News @ Night, and Shannon Bream will present a two-hour live special alongside Baier and MacCallum for news analysis of the hearings through 1 a.m.
The hearings will also be broadcast live online via Fox Nation and FoxNews.com.
As noted by CNN’s chief media correspondent Brian Stelter, the Fox network’s decision to show the first January 6 hearing live on its Fox Business channel means it will not be seen by the millions of people who watch its most popular prime time shows.
“At 8pm ET on an ordinary night, Fox News has more than 3 million viewers, while Fox Business has under 100,000. That pretty much says it all about Fox’s priorities,” Stelter tweeted.
Fox News’ most watched prime time anchors have attempted to downplay the January 6 attack.
The House committee previously asked Sean Hannity to voluntarily speak to them over allegations the host was aware that Trump and his inner circle was planning on stopping Congress certifying the 2020 Election results in favor of Joe Biden.
The committee revealed that Hannity was also in communication with Trump and his team in the run up to January 6.
On December 31, 2020, Hannity expressed fears over the White House legal team’s response to the plans while texting former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows.
“We can’t lose the entire WH [White House] counsels office. I do NOT see January 6 happening the way he is being told,” Hannity wrote.
Hannity also feared that the White House Counsel “will leave” over plans to pressure then Vice President Mike Pence to stop the certification of the electoral votes. He also texted Meadows to say: “Im very worried about the next 48 hours,” on January 5, the eve of the attack.
Tucker Carlson broadcast a three-part documentary about the insurrection entitled Patriot Purge. This proved controversial and it was accused of spreading conspiracy theories, including the long-dismissed claim that the insurrecetion was a “false flag” operation.