“Hearst Magazines and Yahoo may earn commission or revenue on some items through the links below.”
On April 8, Deadline exclusively reported that Dancing With the Stars had been renewed for two more seasons but will no longer be available to watch on ABC.
Dancing With the Stars is moving over to the streaming service Disney+ where new episodes will air live on Monday nights this fall.
It might be springtime right now, but folks are already thinking about fall TV and the new season of Dancing With the Stars. While a premiere date for Dancing With the Stars season 31 has yet to be announced, other news has rocked the show’s fandom, and Carrie Ann Inaba shared her two cents on the matter.
On April 8, Deadline exclusively reported that Dancing With the Stars had been renewed for two more seasons but will no longer be available to watch on ABC. To be clear, this isn’t a sign that the Mirrorball Trophy series is getting canceled. Instead, Dancing With the Stars is moving over to the streaming service Disney+ where new episodes will air live on Monday nights this fall. But this time, viewers will need to sign in to the platform to stay up-to-date with celebrity contestants and their latest performances.
Shortly after the news broke, Carrie “popped in” on her Instagram to share her thoughts about it. “Did you hear the news? Dancing With the Stars, after 30 seasons on ABC, is moving to Disney+,” she said. “We’re still going to be live. We’re going to be the first live-streaming competition show in the United States. Now that’s really exciting. Dancing With the Stars has always been a trail blazer … Who knew ballroom dancing way back when?”
Carrie continued: “It’s been such an honor to be part of this incredible team. It’s so exciting to see it evolve …If you don’t have your subscription for Disney+, you might want to get one because we’re going to be live … Disney+, here we come!”
Apart from opening up about the most recent change herself, the former Talk cohost encouraged followers to drop their own thoughts in the comments section. In response, many folks revealed that they were actually disappointed about the decision. “I’m incredibly sad about this move,” one person wrote. “Nope, already pay too much for other streaming services, will miss DWTS!! 😢,” another added. “I think you’re going to lose a lot of fans mostly the older ones. This has been free since it started and now you have to pay to watch it,” a different fan said.
In case you’re wondering, Disney+ offers two subscriptions: $7.99 per month or $79.99 per year. What’s more, there are signs pointing to the streaming service becoming the new home of previous seasons of Dancing With the Stars, as well. Although fans would regularly watch the show on Hulu, it appears that the show is no longer part of the streaming service’s library.
Fellow judge Derek Hough shared a similar sentiment with Carrie. “DWTS has always been a trail blazer 🔥💪🏼🕺🏼 NEW CHAPTER,” he captioned a 10-second Instagram clip. As for Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli, the head judge doesn’t have social media and the Strictly Come Dancing star hasn’t posted about it. Host Tyra Banks also hasn’t discussed the move to Disney+ publicly.
ABC shared further insight about the decision with Deadline, citing synergy opportunities. “The show’s broad appeal, as well as the overwhelming popularity of its Disney-themed competition nights, make Disney+ the perfect home for Dancing With the Stars while continuing to expand our demographic reach,” said Kareem Daniel, chairman, Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution.
So, what is ABC planning to fill Dancing With the Stars’ weekly two-hour slot with? Football. “After over 30 seasons of the program on ABC, including two spin-offs, Dancing With the Stars will move off of ABC this fall in order for the network to showcase several Monday Night Football games as well as develop and invest in new and future programming,” the network said in a statement.
You Might Also Like